Sonntag, 4. Mai 2014

Happy Birthday, Audrey Hepburn! ♥

Dear Gals,

before I get to the real blog entry for today I want to tell you something about my favourite actress and popular star with iconic-status who I really admire.


Audrey Hepburn




I guess most of you know her by her role Holly Golightly in the famous movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" based on the novel written by Truman Capote.
It's an already 53 years old American movie but it's still magnificient.
Please watch if you get the chance!
A lot of accessories and merchandise have been sold recently - bags, magnets, pillows, mobile phone cases, etc.



The figure of the "Holly Golightly" is just absolutely popular around the world.
But of course there were a lot of other things, Audrey Hepburn did.

Other should seen movies are e.g.: Sabrina, Funny Face, Charade and My fair lady.
There are a lot more I don't mention here, so please take a look at the whole filmography.

Later, she devoted her life to UNICEF and did a lot of great work to support this organisation and their projects in Sudan, Somalia, Mexico, Ecuador, Vietnam, etc.
Unfortunately she suffered of cancer that was diagnosed in 1992 and died one year later.




She won a lots of awards: Academy, Emmy, Grammy, Tony Awards, BAFTA awards for being the best British Acress in a Leading Role.
Moreover, she became a fashion icon and still is, called "the most beautiful woman of all time" and "most beautiful woman of the 20th century" in polls.
If you look at pictures or watch the movies I guess you know why it is so.
It's not only her fashion sense, her natural and very feminine appearance or her long legs and tiny silhouette.
In my opinion it's her charisma which really enchants people, too.
For me there isn't any other woman who's like her.

There is also a statement of hers in an interview of 1959 about her thoughts whether feeling so beautiful how everyone see's her:


"You can even say that I hated myself at certain periods. I was too fat, or maybee too tall, or maybe just plain too ugly... you can say my definiteness stems from underlying feelings of insecurity and inferiority. I couldn't conquer these feelings by acting indecisive. I found the only way to get the better of them was by adopting a forceful, concentrated drive.
 (Good Housekeeping, Eleanor Harris, Aug 1959)


And if we talk about fashion & co. ... What part of clothing became very famous through Audrey?

It's the typical "little black dress", designed by Coco Chanel and Jean Patou in the 1920s.
After the release of the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" where Holly Golightly's wears that dress it became more than popular in it's varities among women. (In the movie it's Hubert de Givenchy's dress)




"One is never over-dressed or underdressed with a little black dress"
(Karl Lagerfeld)



I think one quote of Coco Chanel really fits her:




So as a finish for this blog entry, some more pictures of Audrey ~ since it would have been her 85th birthday, today!